For a full breakdown of the structure of the Past Simple Passive, please see Recognise: Past Simple Passive.
If you have problems forming the tense I propose this sequence, GO BACKWARDS!
- First the Voice and then Aspects
Next going backwards is the MODAL,TENSE or STRUCTURE
- Take the tense to form, eg Past Perfect Passive of To FINISH
- What is the Passive of To FINISH? To BE finished
- What is the Perfect of To BE? To HAVE been finished
- TO HAVE BEEN FINISHED is the Perfect Passive of To Finish
Next the PERSON
- PAST Perfect Passive =
- HAD been finished
- CONDITIONAL Perfect Passive =
- WOULD have been finished
- PRESENT Perfect Passive =
- HAVE / HAS been finished
M = MODIFY
- Now add the person, changing form where necessary
- THEY + Past Perfect Passive
- THEY HAD been finished
- THEY + Conditional Perfect Passive
- THEY WOULD have been finished
- THEY + Present Perfect Passive
- THEY HAVE been finished
- Finally we look at the last modifiers:
- Mood (indicative, interrogative, imperative)
- Polarity (Positive or Negative)
- Contractions (if you want a more informal style)
- Changing where necessary.
- Negative of They would come = THEY WOULDN'T COME
- Question of We arrived = DID WE ARRIVE?
- Negative Question of You should have come = SHOULD YOU NOT HAVE COME?
Forming the Past Simple Passive...